It could have happened anywhere but this time it happened in Florida: a boy pointed a loaded gun at his brother’s head, pulled the trigger and was surprised when the gun went off. According to a story in the St. Petersburg Times, 17-year-old Dustin Ford’s sentence is to complete a program of therapy, school and work at a faith-based camp called San Antonio Boys Village.
For the accidental death of his younger brother, Dustin Ford will spend seven months at a boy’s camp. Meanwhile, millions of American boys will attend schools where guns are taboo and gun safety, by association with that taboo, is completely ignored.
Where is “gun safety’ in this program? In a country that allows families to keep guns, kids should be taught to respect them. When I was a kid too small to fire a 12-gauge shotgun, I was big enough to know that you don’t play with loaded weapons and you don’t point guns at anyone you don’t mean to shoot. Dustin Ford would not have accidentally shot and killed his brother if he had known the first rule of gun safety: ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
[Editor’s note: Always assume a gun is loaded until you have cleared it yourself. Always point the gun in a safe direction. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. And remember, even if you have no guns in your house, your children’s friends might, and still need to know what to do if they see a gun.]
Every once in a while you’ll hear a story of someone keeping dozens or even hundreds of cats, alive or dead, in their homes. The cats are usually so sick they have to be euthanized. Today’s Stupid Person didn’t stop with one home.
Ruth Knueven, 82, was arrested after authorities found hundreds of cats, alive and dead, in her Mount Vernon, Va., home on 8 July.
Well, it turns out she owns a second home in Burke, Va., and investigators found over 150 cats in similar conditions there. Neighbors report that she was seen carrying out garbage bags full of dead cats prior to her arrest.
“All of these cats had respiratory disease and there were feces and urine all around the house,’ said Officer Richard Henry, a Fairfax County police spokesman. He said all the cats found alive in both homes had to be euthanized. — Associated Press
Children in Idaho are playing a choking game with deadly consequences.
Ten year old Dalton Eby of Boise was found dead last Friday hanging from a tree after playing a “pass-out game.’ His mother had reported him missing the previous night when he failed to return home.
Three months ago 13 year old Chelsea Dunn of Nampa was found dead after hanging herself in a closet.
Younger kids don’t know that they can die from this, that it’s a very dangerous activity. Sometimes kids hear about it, that other kids are doing it, but they don’t hear the rest of the story, the risks. It’s like diving into a pool in the shallow end — parents have to tell their kids not to do it. — Dr. Lawrence Shapiro
By the time I was 10, I had seen enough Westerns to know exactly what happens when you are hanged, and there’s no way I would ever have done it, even as a game. It’s clear today’s children aren’t watching enough television. If you live in Idaho, lose the PS2 and show your child Gunsmoke reruns.
Jose Raul Lemos, of Los Angeles, and his 19-month-old daughter, were shot and killed today when he engaged in a gun battle with Los Angeles police.
Lemos was reportedly intoxicated on drugs and alcohol at the time, firing at officers with a 9mm handgun and a shotgun, and officers returned fire in self-defense.
More from Associated Press
This guy is definitely Stupid Person of the Day for getting his daughter killed.
Baffled shepherds in Turkey are still trying to figure out why nearly 1,500 sheep leapt to their deaths over a cliff. Of those, 450 died.
“Every family had an average of 20 sheep. But now only a few families have sheep left. It’s going to be hard for us.’ — Abdullah Hazar
And all this time I thought it was lemmings that leapt over a cliff.